Wednesday, February 5, 2014

CARD DRIVE for Emma! CLOSED


Card Drive is now closed.  
Thanks to all who participated.
Please check the WINNERS post HERE.




Hello cardmakers. 

About a year and a half ago I held a successful card drive (250+) for my friend's daughter, Addison, who was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) in September of 2012.  Addison and her sisters LOVED getting all the cards and she and her family continue to battle the cancer.  Her treatment plans goes until 2015!


With a sad heart, I am coming back to the card making community to make cards for another little 7 year girl named Emma who goes to the same school as Addison and was also diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia back in October 2013.  The first year of treatment was really challenging for Addison.  Addison's mom asked if I could host a drive to bring a smile to Emma and her family as they face this tough first year and beyond.  

From the family: 
Tuesday, October 22, Emma went in for a quick check of a persistent cough as well as to address some concerns about her recent fatigue and pale coloring. A chest x-ray didn’t reveal any fluid in her lungs but her primary care physician detected an enlarged spleen. She suggested we take Emma for blood work to rule out mononucleosis. Within an hour of the blood work we had preliminary results of severe anemia. At this point, her primary care physician gently warned us of a possible diagnosis of leukemia. By 2pm that afternoon we were checking into the hematology/oncology clinic at Dayton Children’s and meeting the amazing staff who would travel this 2+ year journey with us.


My goal is 104 cards minimum (received over 200 for Addie) 
to give her a card a week for two years. 

You can read more about Emma's diagnosis and journey on her Caring Bridges page. You may have to create an account to read the posts.



If you would like to help encourage her on her journey here are some guidelines:

  • Cards can be anything cheery, encouraging, supportive, etc.You can include or incorporate kid-friendly jokes! Please avoid get well card and reminders of being sick.  Please avoid holiday specific cards so the cards can be used anytime over the next two years. 
  • Emma loves the colors green, purple and blue.  She has no siblings. She has two dogs, a cat and a fish.  She LOVES horses and bunnies.  She enjoys horseback riding, swimming, dancing and singing. 
  • All cards need to have a positive message in it for the child/family.  Please also sign your name and the city or state where you are from.  There could be a geography lesson in there!  Also, please don't seal the envelope, as the parents might want to preview cards before Emma sees them.
  • Please stick to just cards or lightweight things like stickers, etc. if you'd like to put something in the card.  I will be delivering the cards to Addison's family and they will then get the cards to Emma's family so no additional shipping costs will be incurred.
  • You are welcome to send store-bought cards, but they will not be eligible for prizes.
  • There is no need to send money or postage with your cards. 
  •  In each package, PLEASE include a piece of paper with your name and email address and how many cards you sent . This helps in keeping track for prizes!  For each handmade card you send, you will get a chance for a prize.  So the more cards you send, the better your chances; however, one prize per person. 
  • PLEASE SHARE this post on your blog, etc. Maybe consider making a card for Emma using a sketch or color challenge.  The more people who see this, the better!
  • Winners of prizes will be randomly drawn on or around July 20, 2014 and notified on this blog and via email (must be provided with cards and written clearly).

All cards can be mailed to the following address: 

Kelly Bertram
P.O Box 58388
Cincinnati, Ohio 45258


I am offering PRIZES to my favorite stores:

Prize 1:  $20 gift certificate to the Lawn Fawn shop
Prize 2: $20 gift certificate to A Cherry On Top online store
Prize 3:$20 gift certificate to Simon Says Stamp online store
Prize 4: $20 gift certificate to I{heart}papers online store
Prize 5: a $50 gift certificate to  neckStyles™ for the infinity scarf or scarves of your choice donated by Patti from stationery Styles blog.


Please feel free to share this card drive with others. I am a baby blog with few followers and would be so grateful if you can share this on your blog.  Use challenge blogs for your inspiration (maybe you'll be a double winner!). 
Thank you so much for your generosity.
I pray these cards will lift the spirits of the family and bring them little moments of comfort and joy during this difficult time.  

They have a very long road ahead of them and you can make it a bit smoother.  


If you want to send a card for Addison,
 just put her name on the card envelope and send it to the same address listed above.


If you have any additional questions not addressed above, 
please email me at kellybertram(at)hotmail(dot)com.
THANKS!!!!!

31 comments:

~amy~ said...

you rock Kelly♥

Loly Borda said...

I'd love to help! Thanks for organizing this!

jeannine said...

I know my kids and I would love to support Emma! My heart goes out to Emma and her family! Thank you for doing this!

Anonymous said...

Kelly, so sorry to hear that another card drive is needed...but happy to pitch in. I've been taking a break from cardmaking lately to focus on my scrapbooks, but will be nice to jump back in for a good cause. Will get working on some cards for you in the next week or two. You really are an angel for doing these card drives. Hope we come through for you with enough cards for the year. All my best to you and your family. Stacy

Maureen Hayes said...

I am in! What a sweetie you are to do this, may you be blessed for your thoughtfulness.

Pam from Maine said...

I'll be sending some cards along soon. I'll keep both girls and families in my thoughts and prayers. So glad you are doing this for them.

Unknown said...

This is so wonderful! Let me get working on some cards.

Unknown said...

Wow, what an AMAZING idea!! I'm in!! And I'll spread the word!!

Mary-Anne V said...

Glad to hear Addison and her sisters loved the cards you collected for them the last time. sorry to hear about Emma...I will make some happy cards for her in the coming weeks. I have shared this with my sister.

Larissa Heskett said...

Such a Nice way to send SMILES!! Kinda weird!!?? I had never known anyone personally with this type of Cancer until a few weeks ago!! One of the boys on my son's YMCA B-Ball team (also 7) just got this same Diagnosis!! It is already stage 4 and he has already under went surgery and started with some treatments!! We are hosting a Donation Supper her him and his family!! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing and I'll be sending some cards shorlty!! Have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)

Winter said...

I just shared it on my blog and on Facebook, I hope it brings more cards in. I will be sending cards soon! Thanks for taking on this special task! :)

Lisa Petrella said...

Kelly, you are so awesome!!! I will definitely make some cards and send them your way! And I'll be sure to blog about this too!!!!

Andrea W said...

I just found your card drive through Winter's blog and I would love to help. The next encouraging card I make I will add a link to your blog to spread the word.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Just recently found out about you from Amy T. :) I am sending out some cards tomorrow that I made along with 2 that my 7 year old daughter Brookie made :)

Pat said...

I just shared on my blog, too. Hope that brings more cards for Emma!

Jennie said...

I heard about this card drive for Emma on Winter's blog. I'm going to write a post for my blog and I'll be sending in six cards. Thanks for organizing this card drive! Blessings, Jennie

Rose said...

found you through Amy T :)
will get a few cards made for sure :)

Katie Ann Brooks said...

awesome! So wonderful for you to do this!

wienerhoneymooners said...

Amazing! So great you are doing this!

wendipooh13 said...

found you from Amy T and sending some cards out today :)

Karen McAlpine said...

Hi Kelly! I am stopping by from Colleen's blog. I have put the card drive badge on my side bar. I will make a few cards too.

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Just came over from Kimberly - sure, I 'll send a card, love to help!

Carole Z said...

Popped over from Patti's blog, will be sending off a card, lovely idea xx

Sande said...

I haven't been making cards but if purchased cards are all right I will mail them asap. So sorry to hear about this sweet little girl.

I know what's it's like to have a ill child. My grandson, who lived with me 5 1/2 days a week until age 4, was very ill at birth. It was touch and go, as he was born with a Chromosome Disorder. Watching a child suffer is gut wrenching.

Your a wonderful person for doing this for her and her family.

Unknown said...

Count me in!♡♥♡ I have a mission focused on hospice and grieving families. I pray Emma's and Addison's families never require the cards I make, but I'm blessed to serve you and Emma in this way☆★☆

Please visit http://www.thehealingheartists.com.

Unknown said...

Count me in!♡♥♡ I have a mission focused on hospice and grieving families. I pray Emma's and Addison's families never require the cards I make, but I'm blessed to serve you and Emma in this way☆★☆

Please visit http://www.thehealingheartists.com.

Karen McAlpine said...

I put seven cards in the mail Friday! You should receive them today!

Joyce said...

What an amazing thing you are doing to help this sweet little girl and her family. I will make her a card and blog about it, too.

OH Babs said...

I read about your card drive for Emma on Joyce's blog. Tomorrow I will mail the six cards I just finished for Emma. Thank you for what you are doing for both Emma and her family.

obee said...

Amazing thing you are doing! I have never joined a challenge or card drive, you will be my first...

Trina said...

Mailing some cards tomorrow. I hope they get there in time!